BOOK REVIEWS, INTERVIEWS, ARTICLES, & PRESENTATIONS
To inquire about interviews, reviews or articles, please email Susan Cushman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Press for PILGRIM INTERRUPTED (released June 7, 2022):
CLICK ON WORDS IN RED FOR LINKS TO ARTICLES AND INTERVIEWS!
Interview with Bobby Maddex at ANCIENT FAITH PUBLISHING for his podcast: ANCIENT FAITH PRESENTS (December 9, 2022).
Interview with Katie Eubanks, editor, Mississippi Christian Living Magazine (May 4, 2022)
Review by Susan O’Bryan in the Jackson, Mississippi Clarion Ledger (September 11, 2022)
Ole Miss Alumni Review, Summer 2022
Spiritual Memoir in Memphis Commercial Appeal, June 7 2022.
Author 2 Author with Bill Kenower, June 7, 2022.
Interview on the Mike Wagner Show (which airs May 12 on many stations). Watch the VIDEO from April 12, 2022, interview here: PILGRIMAGE.
Interview on “AUTHORS OVER 50” with author Julia Daily, which aired April 22, 2022. WATCH A VIDEO of our interview here.
Press for JOHN AND MARY MARGARET: (released June 2021)
My article, “Crossing the Color Divide,” appears in the March 2022 online issue of WELCOME HOME Magazine, produced by author Debbie Macomber. Read the “back-story” of what writing JOHN AND MARY MARGARET was like! To buy a copy of the March issue for $3.99, CLICK HERE.
Press for JOHN AND MARY MARGARET
Hybrid event (in person and on Zoom) at Ernest & Hadley Booksellers in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, January 29, 2022.
“Bursting the White Bubble on on Race and Relationships in 1960s Mississippi” in Mississippi Free Press, November 1, 2021.
Oh, I loved this interview with Jackson Huff. Listen to the IN A HUFF podcast about interracial relationships in Mississippi in the 1960s, and more! October 20, 2021.
LISTEN to this podcast on JOY FOUND HERE: Writing Her Roots With Susan Cushman, September 28, 2021
Virtual presentation hosted by the Southern Lit Alliance, September 1, 2021
Interview on Jason Frazell’s podcast: “Talking to Cool People,” September 1, 2021
Interview on WUTC radio in Chattanooga, Tennessee August 30, 2021.
“Susan Cushman’s JOHN AND MARY MARGARET Tackles Interracial Relationships From the ’60s on” August 16, 2021 , by Alz Authors founding member Marianne Sciucco.
Nice piece in Tri Delt ReaDDDS in Trident Magazine!, August 13, 2021.
Video Interview on the Mike Wagner Show August 19, 2021
Interview with Patti Callahan Henry on FRIENDS AND FICTION July 9, 2021.
Short review at “Says Me Says Mom” on July 6, 2021
Interview in the Jackson, Mississippi Clarion Ledger on July 4, 2021 (see image above)
Conversation with Ralph Eubanks at Lemuria Books, Jackson, MS, July 1, 2021
Book review at Jackson, Mississippi’s Clarion Ledger newspaper June 27, 2021.
Conversation with Jeffrey Blount at Novel Memphis on June 4, 2021.
Storyboard Memphis interview on WYPL FM 89.3 Memphis June 5, 2021.
Interview/article in Thrive Global, June 3, 2021.
Review by Ellen Morris Prewitt on her wonderful blog, June 3, 2021.
Interview with Allen Mendenhall at the Southern Literary Review, June 3, 2021
“Live at Nine” WREG News Channel 3, with Marybeth Connelly, Memphis, June 2, 2021
Book review at Best Times, Memphis June 2, 2021
Beaufort Lifestyle, Beaufort, SC, features event at Pat Conroy Literary Center, May 28, 2021
Interview with Marshall Ramsey for “Mississippi Stories” at Mississippi Today May 26, 2021
Interview with Mark Fleischer of Storyboard Memphis, May 26 2021
Article in the Lowcountry Weekly, Beaufort, SC, May 25, 2021
Review at Jenn’s Blah Blah Blog, 5/24/21
Alumni Spotlight at University of Mississippi College of Liberal Arts Alumni News, 5/21/21
Pen For Hire, 5/14/21 INTERVIEW with Matthew Harmes
Authority Magazine, 5/6/21 “Five Things You Need to Know to Become a Great Author”
Guest post at Nicole Roccas’ blog: “This is Me Speaking Out” (January 2021)
Friends of the Library Press
- Friends of the Library is featured in “Postcards and Authors,” with a historic postcard of West Point, Mississippi, where one of the stories was set. April 27, 2020.
- Review of Friends of the Library by author Kathleen Rodgers on her blog, March, 2020.
- Friends of the Library is a FINALIST for the 2019 American Book Awards for Short Stories!
- Friends of the Library made the Fall/Winter Reading List in Deep South Magazine, Fall 2019
- Review of Friends of the Library in the Jackson, Mississippi, Clarion Ledger, August 25, by Tracy Carr, Library Services Director of the Mississippi Library Commission.
- “Live at 9” on WREG TV Channel 3 in Memphis on August 23, with Marybeth Conley and Alex Coleman, for Friends of the Library.
- Interview in The Memphis Flyer, August 22, 2019
- Review of Friends of the Library in The Prairies Book Review, July 27, 2019.
- Interview by Allen Mendenhall in Southern Literary Review, June 27, 2019.
- Review of Friends of the Library by Niles Reddick in Southern Literary Review, June 25, 2019.
- Interview at Writer Advice, April 2, 2020.
Press for Susan’s Other Works
- “He Waited For Her” was published in The Ekphrastic Review, January 15, 2021.
- “Dressing the Part” wins 2nd place in Flash Memoir at Writer Advice, April, 2020.
- Review at Alabama Writers’ Forum by Donna Estill.
- Review by Don Noble of BOOKMARK for Tuscaloosa news.
- September 15, 2018: Interview with Allen Mendenhall in Southern Literary Review,
- August 23, 2018: “An Imperfect Art,” by Debbie Jacob in Trinidad and Tobago
- July 9, 2018: The Literary South – Review by Melanie Lee Dragger on May 16, 2018
- Chapter 16 – Review by Ed Tarkington on April 27, 2018 Against Professional Southerners” (also in Memphis Commercial Appeal on April 27) Lemuria Bookstore Blog/Jackson Clarion Ledger
- Review by Jim Ewing on April 29, 2018 – “Southern writers share secrets, stories, in new anthology”
- Oxford Magazine – “There’s Something About The South” – Interview – May/June 2018 issue
- Video of panel at Lemuria Books, Jackson, Mississippi, on May 2, 2018, with Susan Cushman, John Floyd, and Jim Dees (video credit to Steve Yates at University Press of Mississippi)
- Susan’s interview for CHERRY BOMB on WZKR Super Talk radio in Meridian, Mississippi on November 29, 2017
- Susan’s author page on Mississippi Writers and Musicians
- Interview on Mississippi Writers’ Pathways: “Susan Cushman: Prolific and Courageous and Transparent”
- Review in Southern Libraries journal by Michele Frasier-Robinson SUMMER 2018 (Vol. 81, No. 2, page 45).
- Review of CHERRY BOMB on Claire Fullerton’s blog: “CHERRY BOMB” March 4,
- Review on the Southern Literary Review by Niles Reddick (September 26, 2017) “…reads like the work of a master…. It deserves a literary prize.”
- Compassionate, Real, and Heartbreaking” (5 STARS)
- “This beautifully written book that is both real and redemptive” (5 STARS)
- “Rich story of redemption and expression” (4 STARS) This also appeared in the Jackson, Mississippi Clarion Ledger on August 7, 2017
- Oxford (MS) HottyToddy.com, March 1, 2017: “Writing to Remember: An Author’s Depiction of Her Mother’s Alzheimer’s”
- Jackson (MS) Clarion Ledger, March 2, 2017: “Jackson native writes about mother with Alzheimer’s”
- Oxford, (MS) Daily Mississippian, March 3, 2017: “Blogger and author Susan Cushman brings ‘Tangles and Plaques’ to Square Books: “A Daughter’s Story” “Personal Look at Alzheimer’s and Caregiving”
- Nashville (TN) Chapter 16, March 23, 2017: “Giving Birth to Ourselves: Memphis’ Susan Cushman has curated a collection of essays by women, for women”
- Memphis (TN) Commercial Appeal, March 26, 2017: “In ‘A Second Blooming’ Susan Cushman gathers women’s voices”
- November 5, 2013: Article/interview by Jessica Jones in Gulf Coast Newspapers, “Making the Most Out of Workshops and Conferences,”
- Guest editorial in the Memphis Commercial Appeal.
- Faith Matters: “Memphis woman writes about unusual journey from Southern Presbyterian to Eastern Orthodox”
- Faithinmemphis: “Cushman: Finding Balance in Orthodoxy.”