BOOKS (Author or Editor)
All Night, All Day: Life, Death, & Angels (Madville Publishing, June 2023) READ MORE
Pilgrim Interrupted (Brother Mockingbird Publishing, June 2022). READ MORE
John and Mary Margaret (Koehler Books, June 2021). READ MORE
The Pulpwood Queens Celebrate 20 Years! (Brother Mockingbird Publishing, December 2019). Susan edited this collection of 67 essays by authors and readers involved with the Pulpwood Queens Book Clubs. READ MORE
Friends of the Library (Koehler Books, August, 2019.) READ MORE
Southern Writers on Writing (University Press of Mississippi, May, 2018.) Susan edited this anthology which contains essays by twenty-six southern authors. READ MORE
Cherry Bomb (Dogwood Press, August 1, 2017). READ MORE
A Second Blooming: Becoming the Women We Are Meant to Be (Mercer University Press, March 2017). Susan edited this collection of essays by twenty women authors. READ MORE
Tangles and Plaques: A Mother and Daughter Face Alzheimer’s (eLectio Publishing, February 2017). This is a memoir. READ MORE
The Shoe Burnin’: Stories of Southern Soul( River’s Edge Media, 2013) – Essay by Susan Cushman: “Eat, Drink, Repeat: One Woman’s Three-Day Search for Everything”
Chicken Soup For the Soul: Navigating Eldercare (2021) – Essay by Susan Cushman: “A New Mother”
Work in Progress (2022) – Essay by Susan Cushman (chapter from an unpublished memoir): “Spandex and Leg Warmers” from Dressing the Part: What I Wore For Love (upublished)
“Meridian: Gypsies, Orphans, and Ghosts” in Deep South Magazine, October 31, 2018.
- “Six Books in Three Years: An Indie Publishing Journey” published in Women’s Writers, Women’s Books October 3, 2019
- “Watching,” (shorter version, reprinted from Saint Katherine Review) in Take Care: Tales, Tips, and Love From Women Caregivers (edited by Elayne Clift) May 2017.
- “Four Book Deals in One Year,” in Southern Writers Magazine, July/August 2017 (page 36)
- “High School Never Ends” in Dumped: Stories of Women Unfriending Women (She Writes Press, March 3, 2015)
- “Eat, Drink, Repeat: One Woman’s Three-Day Search for Everything,” in The Shoe Burnin’ Anthology: Stories of Southern Soul (River’s Edge Media, Little Rock, AR, November, 2013)
- “Chiaroscuro: Shimmer and Shadow,” in Circling Faith: Southern Women on Spirituality (University of Alabama Press, March, 2012).
- “The Wind in the Trees,” in My Oxford, (Yoknapatawpha Arts Council, Oxford, Mississippi, 2013)
- “Icons Will Save the World,” First Things: The Journal of Religion, Culture and Public Life.
- “Blocked” (a finalist in the Santa Fe Writers Project Literary Awards) sfwp Journal.
- “The Other Woman,” Mom Writers Literary Magazine.
- “myPod,” “Burying Saint Joseph,” and “Super-Sized Enlightenment,” skirt! Magazine.
- “Watching,” St. Katherine Review, Vol. I No. 2. (Print journal only, but you can read the essay on my old blog, here: “Watching, Dancing, and Fishing.”)
- “Are These My People?” Muscadine Lines: A Southern Journal.
- “The Glasses,” Southern Women’s Review (January, 2010, page 36).
- “The Imperfect Peace,” (poetry) in Southern Stories