Tangles and Plaques: A Mother and Daughter Face Alzheimer’s (eLectio Publishing, February 2017). This is a memoir. READ MORE
A Second Blooming: Becoming the Women We Are Meant to Be (Mercer University Press, March 2017). Susan edited this collection of essays by twenty women authors. READ MORE
Circling Faith: Southern Writers on Writing (University of Alabama Press, 2012) – Essay by Susan Cushman: “Chiaroscuro: Shimmer and Shadow”
The Shoe Burnin’: Stories of Southern Soul( River’s Edge Media, 2013) – Essay by Susan Cushman: “Eat, Drink, Repeat: One Woman’s Three-Day Search for Everything”
“Meridian: Gypsies, Orphans, and Ghosts” in Deep South Magazine, October 31, 2018.
- “Six Books in Three Years: An Indie Publishing Journey” published in Women’s Writers, Women’s Books October 3, 2019
- “Watching,” (shorter version, reprinted from Saint Katherine Review) in
TakeCare: Tales, Tips, and Love From Women Caregivers (edited by Elayne Clift) May 2017.
- “Four Book Deals in One Year,” in Southern Writers Magazine, July/August 2017 (page 36)
- “High School Never Ends” in Dumped: Stories of Women Unfriending Women (She Writes Press, March 3, 2015)
- “Eat, Drink, Repeat: One Woman’s Three-Day Search for Everything,” in The Shoe Burnin’ Anthology: Stories of Southern Soul (River’s Edge Media, Little Rock, AR,
- “Chiaroscuro: Shimmer and Shadow,” in Circling Faith: Southern Women on Spirituality (University of Alabama Press,
- “The Wind in the Trees,” in My Oxford, (Yoknapatawpha Arts Council, Oxford, Mississippi, 2013)
- “Icons Will Save the World,” First Things: The Journal of Religion, Culture and Public Life.
- “Blocked” (a finalist in the Santa Fe Writers Project Literary Awards)
- “The Other Woman,” Mom Writers Literary Magazine.
- “myPod,” “Burying Saint Joseph,” and “Super-Sized Enlightenment,” skirt! Magazine.
- “Watching,” St. Katherine Review, Vol. I No. 2. (Print journal only, but you can read the essay on my old blog, here: “Watching, Dancing, and Fishing.”)
- “Are These My People?” Muscadine Lines: A Southern Journal.
- “The Glasses,” Southern Women’s Review (January, 2010, page 36).
- “The Imperfect Peace,” (poetry) in Southern Stories